When we decide to pursue our passions and personal goals they require a determined and undetermined amount of our time.
Each day our time is dispersed in many different areas in our life. Some more important than others.
I would like to explore and discuss how balancing family connection and passion pursuits can effectively be achieved.
One of my life values that I hold in high regard is the relationship and growth I have with my family and friends.
I believe that every situation is different. My family consists of a wife and two young children who I would like to give and require my attention, love and affection.
I have sometimes struggled with the balance between developing family relationships and the investment of time in personal passions.
I am sure there are others who also feel lost in the midst of this balance struggle.
My hope is that I can share insight into this important life value before continued or prolonged relationship damage can occur.
Other people I choose to share my attention of relationship connection with are my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, close friends, volunteering and helping others.
I would like to continue developing and maintaining strong relationships with these people as they are the ones I share great joy with in life.
Balancing Family Connection and Passion Pursuits
As I analyze my time that is available to me and where it is going each day I realize how much time I really have to spend (like a budget) each day. (24 hours/day) 9 hours is allocated to work, 7 hours to sleep, 1.5 hours to dinner (prep, eating, discussion, cleanup), and that leaves 6 hours remaining during an average weekday.
Breakdown of my daily time
45 minutes-hour with wife before going to sleep, 30 minutes with kids before their bedtime, 1 hour of uninterrupted family time. = 3 hours approx of my own personal pursuit time.
How should I divide this time?
I have concluded that in order to effectively know the true time needed to balance with family I will need to discuss with family how much time they feel they require to fulfill a healthy family relationship.
- What are their values for a healthy family?
- What would they like to do in that time?
- How much time do I require to fulfill my value of family?
- What amount of time is left over?
I then look at my own circumstances that are in my control.
- Are there areas in my life I am wasting time or procrastinating?
- What things do I do now that don’t add value?
Knowing these time allocation values is also important to reference as I try to plan a realistic timeline of when I would like to accomplish various goals and achievements.
It will give me a more realistic perception of the time I have available to commit to my personal passions.
Ideas to ensure the proper balance of family connection is valued in your life
- Block off time for family and friends on calendar
- Set boundaries and limits by saying no to other commitments or functions that interfere with family moments.
- Be flexible and adaptable to change. Don’t let precious family opportunities go unclaimed.
- Cut out time wasting activities. This can allow for more family investment or personal pursuits in life.
- Create special moments (kids bedtime, spending time with spouse hour before bed, dinner-time connecting, game nights, popcorn nights in summer, hot chocolate nights in winter, etc)
- Make compromises. If a family commitment can’t be made for a reason (important) ask to make it up quickly. Ensure to follow through on promise.
- Determine your priorities. Being aware of family priorities will ensure you are able to seize the moments of value when they arise.
- Set specific goals and time limits. Determining time limits for your personal pursuits and specific goals will help to clarify the realistic time you need to allot your personal time so it does not conflict with family time.
Through these family value reflections I am now aware of time and family values that are expected of me. I can schedule my personal time accordingly and devote it to my passions that I choose to incorporate in my daily life.
These boundaries will help me to be more present in the moment without thinking about other things aside from family moments. Taking joy in those moments and living within my values.
“The balance between family values and personal passions are outlined amongst a family that is connected. Passion sprouts from the seeds of support which share in the love to help it grow.”
Some ideas were referenced from the following sources.